Kaimai® Custom Rifle Suppressors have been designed in consultation with gunsmiths and firearms experts from NZ, Europe and the USA. We have used advances in engineering design and manufacturing from related industries, to produce a range of rifle suppressors that are not only relatively light weight, but durable and very effective at doing their main task – to reduce gunshot sound signature. Having learned from others mistakes, our intention was to overcome some of the design flaws or shortcomings of common suppressor designs. ( Now manufactured and distributed by D.F. Maisey Gunsmithing, Tauranga. (07)544-2207 )
By incorporating ultra high strength aircraft / weapons grade alloys like 7075-T6, Tennalum® 7068 & Titanium (imported from Europe and the USA), along with high quality stainless steel where required in the critical wear and high-temp areas, we have produced very effective and durable suppressors for sporting rifle use that are about 50-66% of the weight of comparable all-steel or stainless-steel units. Further, Kaimai® -Hybrid™ units are designed to give an estimated 3-5 times of the effective service life compared with some competitors very lightly constructed ‘aluminium-only’ units.
While suppressor weight is a consideration, it should not be the main feature if it comes at a drastic reduction in performance levels, durability, or safety. Making a quality suppressor is a compromise between weight, unit size & length, suppression performance, recoil reduction performance, strength & durability, safe function and accuracy, and ultimately – price.
There is no one perfect suppressor for all applications – the user must determine the product which encompasses the best mix of features to suit their main intended use or application. The reality is that in most cases, ‘lightest’ or ‘cheapest’ does not equal ‘best’. There is plenty of evidence of prematurely-failed suppressor products on the market now to validate this point.
Of further concern is that feather-weight compact centerfire suppressors can heat up very quickly (mirage issues, etc.) and may also fall well short of providing any adequate level of sound suppression at all. The test readings of some centerfire suppressors have been shown to still exhibit dangerously high dB levels in comparison tests. This point must not be overlooked if one of your main reasons for purchasing a suppressor is to help protect the hearing of your dog, or children who may be joining you on your hunt. Assuming that all suppressors work ‘pretty much about the same’ and are made to the same quality and performance standards, is a fallacy. Simply stated – in an un-regulated industry – all suppressors are not created equal.
Kaimai®-Hybrid™ centerfire suppressors are very competitively priced, as well as being very high quality and accuracy-enhancing units. The semi-modular design, makes it possible for us to manufacture small to medium production runs of individual components and then assemble the suppressors to order as required, with the calibre-specific baffle inserts and (proprietary design) threaded internal stainless steel muzzle brake, to meet the customer’s request. As the Kaimai Hybrid centerfire suppressors are so robust and durable (due to the addition of stainless steel in critical areas), they are not designed to be dismantled for maintenance by the end-user. There is basically no need, as there are no ongoing requirements to regularly purchase and replace eroded or shot-out baffles, which can be an issue on some other lighter/cheaper alloy suppressors.
Kaimai® ‘Monocore’, ‘Timberline’, and ‘Varminter’ rimfire model suppressors are able to be dismantled for cleaning by the end-user.
Some of the main features of Kaimai® -Hybrid™ Suppressors
- Improved pressure vessel design – O.D. threaded outer tuber and I.D. threaded inner tube. As internal pressure increases the double-overlapping joins tighten. Exhaustive testing including with magnum calibres without any Loctite on joins, showed no leaking. Unlike some competitors products that can tube-swell and leak at the tube ends, the only reason that Kaimai®™-Hybrid™ Suppressors are sealed on the end-caps is to prevent un-authorised disassembly!
- Self-tightening muzzle brake / containment baffle designs (Designs used under license).
- No need to over-tighten suppressor, finger & thumb pressure is enough. Each shot keeps thread fit slightly tight against thread shoulder on barrel with conventional RH thread. Accuracy enhancing.
- Muzzle brake is directly attached to barrel threads, and this diverts and re-directs about 70%-80% of the gas blast forces. This significantly reduces or eliminates the tendency for tube-stretching that is a design weakness of some competitors brake-less suppressor designs.
- Improved service life over aluminium-only units
- Calibre-specific stainless steel blast cone inserts (on centerfire models) prevent premature baffle wear. (Some competitors alloy-only baffles or core-faces soon wear through the anodising layer, and after that will chew-out relatively quickly with normal use.)
- All internal and external 7000 series aluminium alloy parts are hard-coat anodised, for maximum durability and corrosion resistance.
- Co-polymer (High-Temp.) inserts in the baffle system
- Aid in baffle alignment and tensioning
- Deaden any vibration or metallic ‘ping’ noise common with stainless or high-tensile alloy suppressors when inadvertently knocked against scrub or brushes.
- These inserts further aid in producing one of the quietest alloy sound suppressors available.
- The vibration dampening abilities also aid in improving accuracy – confirmed by our own testing.
- Exhaustive testing regime to prove the designs
- Warrantied to be free of defects in material or workmanships
- Consumer Guarantees Act rights for the purchaser.
- Limited Lifetime warranty (conditions apply)
- Click here for further details and conditions of warranty.
- Highest quality
- Our goal is to produce an outstanding product, with advanced design and technological advantages, at a reasonable price. This does not necessarily mean ‘cheap’, because there are always extra costs associated with manufacturing a better quality product. There will always be other vendors who have their place in the market based largely on lowered price point.
- Quality, integrity, performance and reliability are our main goals.
- NZ designed, manufactured and tested.
- European inspired technology and design flair
- Attention to detail and perfection throughout the manufacturing process.
Sample footage of a Kaimai® Compact (over barrel) suppressor being used on a .223Rem bolt-action rifle by professional shooters for goat control operations. This is an example of some of the field testing and R&D work that goes into all Kaimai® products to ensure that they work 100% reliably.
A short video showing the difference between shooting with a rifle un-suppressed vs suppressed.
The following videos have been supplied courtesy of Tauranga Gunsmith Dean Maisey ( @ August 2015)
With about 20 years of professional gunsmithing his experience and assistance has been invaluable in the design, prototyping and testing of the Kaimai® range of suppressors. His involvement should give customers an assurance that the highest quality, performance and safety levels have been achieved before these suppressors have been released onto the market.
PART ONE (General Overview of rifle suppressors / silencers – 17mins) @ August 2015
PART THREE (Review and explanation of Kaimai® rimfire monocore suppressor – 10mins)
PART FOUR (Review of Kaimai® BLACKOUT (Subsonic) model on .300 BLK – 6mins)
PART FIVE (Range testing of Kaimai® Ti-TEN AR model on AR15 .223 REM – 11mins)