KAIMAI™ Rifle Suppressors have been designed in consultation with gunsmiths and firearms experts from NZ, Europe and the USA. We have used advances in design manufacturing from related industries, to produce a range of new rifle suppressors that are not only relatively light weight, but durable and very effective at doing their main task – to reduce gunshot sound signature. Having learned from others mistakes, our intention was to overcome some of the design flaws or shortcomings of common lightweight suppressor designs.
Materials and Workmanship Warranty – 2 years. Terms of Fair Trading Act (1986) apply. Terms of Consumer Guarantees Act (1993) apply.
Warranty does not cover: Normal wear & tear, Damage from using goods for a purpose for which they were not designed, Damage from neglect or careless storage, Damage from having unauthorised repairs carried out.
Kaimai® Suppressors/Silencers should only be fitted to your rifle by suitably qualified, or trained gunsmiths. Kaimai® accepts no liability or warranty for any work (or damage resulting) from unauthorised third parties.
Most centerfire suppressors are custom-assembled to meet your calibre/thread/length requirements. Some common thread/calibre requests may be in stock and available immediately or within a few days after receipt of payment. In some instances there may be a lead-time of 1-2 weeks if we are currently out of stock of some components. Some orders may take longer if it is a less-popular thread size.
For online orders our flat rate shipping fee is $10.00 nationwide. This applies whether you want only one item or several items combined on the same order. All Kaimai® suppressors are supplied in custom-designed cardboard boxes, and if any other accessory items are ordered at the same time (such as rear bushing holder/jig, spare rear bushings, thread caps or suppressor covers) we will pack these securely in the same box if possible.
Frequently asked questions
- What do sound suppressors do?
- There are four noises which make up the “boom” one hears when shooting a firearm. The first is the action noise (i.e.: the hammer hitting the firing pin, the slide/bolt cycling, gas escaping though the ejection port). The second is the bullet flight noise. If the projectile travels faster than t... Read Full Answer
- What are sound suppressors used for?
- Silencers are “hearing protection” that attaches to your firearm, not unlike a muffler on an automobile.
OSH limits impulsive or impact noise at 140dB peak sound pressure. “Hearing Safe” in the Firearms Industry refers to a gunshot that produces less than 140dB peak pressure... Read Full Answer
- Who would want to use a sound suppressor and why?
- A silenced firearm is eminently more enjoyable to shoot than one without a silencer. Silencers generally increase the accuracy of a host firearm while reducing recoil and eliminating a significant amount of the muzzle signature. Shooters are able to concentrate more on breath control and trigger pul... Read Full Answer
NZ$190 includes GST (flat rate shipping cost is additional)
Designed to reduce the gunshot noise of .22LR and .22 Magnum rimfire rifles, and safe to use with both subsonic and HV ammunition. This unit can also be used with very small centrefire cartridges such as .22 Hornet – and sub-calibre derivatives such as .20 Hornet, .17 Hornet, plus the 17 HMR and .17WSM, etc.
( NOT FOR .223Rem, .204Ruger, .222Rem, .221 Fireball, .17Rem, etc. )
The Varminter™ model is a high quality, hybrid combination of 6000 series aluminium, 300 series Stainless Steel, and Grade 9 Titanium. All external parts are finished to a high standard and are black anodised for protection, in a matt (non-glare) finish. It features CNC machined stainless steel spiralled muzzle brake, as well as 5 stainless steel mid-baffles and a titanium slave tube in the primary expansion chamber section – thus providing outstanding durability and strength but in a relatively light and compact package. The Varminter™ can be dismantled for cleaning by the shooter – an extremely important feature.
No springs or loose baffles or spacers to worry about, and no problems with reassembly or baffle misalignment – anyone who is reasonably competent mechanically can clean and service this suppressor themselves. Why waste your money on a low-quality or permanently-sealed rimfire suppressor? To maintain optimum performance, most rimfire suppressors should be cleaned every 300-500 rounds (or as required) – especially if using a lot of cheaper brands of .22LR subsonic ammo – to remove any excessive powder/lead fouling build-up.
There are many other rimfire suppressors on the market that claim to be easily dismantled – this may appear so when they are new and clean – but not in reality once the unit becomes dirty, corroded, or the powder fouling has set like concrete and locked everything up solid. The Varminter is designed in such a way that the outer tube is essentially just a sleeve/vessel to hold all of the internal components together and in perfect alignment – the dirty propellant gases and fouling are retained on the inside of these internal parts so that the gas and carbon/lead/powder fouling never comes into contact with the inside of the aluminium tube, so there is no way for the unit to become seized up.
- There is also a special .17cal-ONLY version available, specifically for use on the .17HMR, .17WSM, or .17 Hornet cartridges, and the mid-baffles feature a smaller Ø5.6mm clearance hole just for the .17cal bullet. This .17cal model must NOT be used with .22cal or .20cal.
(A special removal tool for the front end-piece (6-pin socket) is available for purchase separately, if required. The tool is not included with the suppressor as standard. The removal tool will fit both the .22cal and the .17cal-only front end-pieces, so if you own both units you will only need the one removal tool. )
Note: As with any suppressor, this unit will not fully silence High-Velocity (supersonic) ammunition. No suppressor in existence can remove the super-sonic crack of a bullet breaking the sound barrier. True silenced performance is only achieved with subsonic .22LR ammunition. (Velocity must be below 330 Metre/sec, or 1050 Feet/Sec.)
- 6.7“ long (170mm), 221 grams, Ø1 ¼” (Ø 31.5mm)
- Calibres: .22LR, .22Mag, .22 Hornet, .17HMR, .17 WSM, .17 Hornet
- Special model available specifically for .17cal only, for even better suppression effect.
- Thread options: ½ – 20, ½-28, M18x1.0mm. (These are the current thread options. Others may be available in future, or by custom-request. Very concentric and close/tight spec threads – this may cause fitting problems with some pre-threaded barrels, especially if the male thread has been cut slightly oversize previously to match another brand/model of suppressor. We recommend that for best results it may be necessary in some cases to have your barrel custom-threaded by a gunsmith to fit and match the female suppressor thread precisely. )
- Removable baffle-stack system, with o-ring buffers, generates excellent turbulence/suppression effect. Precision-machined from solid 303 stainless steel barstock – Unique design is the result of extensive testing, and tests show significantly better performance than some competitors much longer and heavier rimfire suppressors. We have tried to remove as much mass as possible from the stainless baffles in order to keep the overall weight down, while still maintaining strength and durability.
- Replacement baffles are available for purchase in the event of damage, or any excessive wear developing due to very high volume of shooting, or commercial use. In most cases though, these stainless baffles will most likely outlast a lifetime of recreational use with rimfire ammunition.
- 100% Designed and Made in New Zealand.
No Export Sales – all sales are for domestic NZ only.
Ask a Question
If you have a question regarding this product, please enter your details below and we will respond as soon as possible.
Your request is being processed, please wait...
1 X item added to your order
Varminter Suppressor $190
Calibre Size: | Thread Size:
Your request is being processed, please wait...
We will be in touch shortly.